He started playing guitar at the age of 7 and in 1997 was ranked 3rd in a Guitar World list of the most popular blues artists in the world. He has released one live album and 4 studio albums, the first in 1995, when he was just 18.
His albums have sold millions and his first three albums are Platinum-selling.
His 1998 single â€˜Blue on Blackâ€™ reached no.1 in the Mainstream Rock chart.
To commemorate Shepherdâ€™s achievements, in 2008 Fender launched the Kenny Wayne Shepherd series of Stratocasters, designed by him and available in three different finishes.
Here are the specifications:
- Alder body
- Maple neck with custom â€œthick Câ€ shape
- Rosewood fretboard
- 3 Custom-voiced Kenny Wayne Shepherd single-coils
- 5-way blade selector switch
- Volume and 2 tone controls
- Vintage-style Synchronized Tremolo
- Chrome hardware
- 21 jumbo frets
- Reverse polarity middle pickup, for hum-cancelling tones
- Arctic White with ornate cross graphic and white pickguard
- Black with racing stripes and black pickguard
- 3-colour sunburst and white pickguard